Tuesday 12 May 2015

PDP: Views on how my presentation went

We had our presentations held at the Minnories Gallery (Colchester), infront of our PDP leader, a member of staff from Firstsite and our Studio Module leaders. Our presentation was based on the progress and documentation from our Studio module, the brief being Firstsite.

I was last to present my work, my partner Gauge went before me, who did incredibly by the way, (despite what she thinks!) as did everyone else. I used my research on the Georgian era to start the presentation - however looking back, I probably should have started by talking about the brief and our visit to Firstsite, then going on to talk about my chosen surrounding building and how it ties in with the Georgian era. I went onto show my powerpoint presentation on Georgian fashion, style, news and history which I had previously made and presented to a selection of my peers at the beginning of the project. I continued by presenting my own interpretation of Firstsite in sketches using different mediums such as masking tape and biro. I switched between platforms, showing ideas on my iPad, sketchbook and technical file. I went onto presenting my design ideas for the jumpsuit which led me to discuss the processes of making the garment and the struggles me and Gauge faced.

All in all I was fairly pleased with my performance despite my nerves which often get the best of me in similar situations. I felt that the previous presentation I performed (my Critical and Contextual powerpoint on Chanel) helped me a lot and I felt like I had improved in terms of speaking and performance in front of a crowd because of this.


I was extremely relieved to discover that I and Gauge had passed, along with the rest of our group. Although I didn't receive the highest grade, I am pleased with my progress since the beginning of the year thus far.

As a often shy and nervous person, I find presentations and public speaking extremely nerve-wracking and difficult. But I believe that the work and tasks set out for me this year have helped me expand my knowledge, become more independent in my own work and gain confidence in myself and work. However, I am still keeping in mind that I am only in my first year and have the time and space to develop and improve my skills in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment