Tuesday 14 April 2015

Critical and Contextual - Essay Synopsis

“Fashion is an expression of the times. Elegance is something else again.” Horst, 1984. 

I have chosen this title as I consider it to be a rather audacious and courageous statement. I find this particular title interesting to research and debate due to the different opinions it will produce. Everyone’s opinion varies when it comes to their own idea of Elegance, meaning there is no definite right nor wrong answer which is one of the reasons why I am intrigued to answer this question.First of all, I plan to look into the definition of elegance, and what it means to various different people. I feel like this would allow myself to have an understanding of other’s opinions and would give me a basis to start my debate on. I will also be researching different ways and types of expression and how fashion can consolidate with it. Many people, myself being amongst them, believe that it is possible to express emotions with clothing and how you style it. I will obviously be referencing Horst amongst other artists such as Elie Saab, Jean Paul Gaultier, Dior, Valentino, whom all host Haute Couture shows. The relevance to Haute Couture is important in my debate as Haute Couture garments are deemed as elegant in almost anyone’s eyes.I will be using sources such as the Internet, quotes and articles from magazines and books as reference to my side of the debate. I believe magazines such as Vogue will be highly useful to me as Horst himself worked for the company starting in 1931, mainly focusing as a Haute Couture photographer.To answer this question successfully I will need to access and document relevant information in order to develop and define my own opinion and answer the ever-talked about statement based on my findings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment