Saturday 7 November 2015

Starting Points and Colour Palette

After my previous lesson creating visual research from feminine and masculine objects, our next task was to choose one object and write 100 words explaining why we chose the item and whether its feminine or masculine, its purpose, the material etc. I chose my mothers wedding stockings, which I believed to be feminine.


'The shape of the object is tubular, with a  straight edge at the top of the stocking. It has a transparent, ivory or cream colour with the material being either polyester or nylon which is common in tights or hosiery. The purpose of a stocking is either to create warmth around the person's leg or simply to look good. In many cases they are worn as they hold some form of sexual appeal. This particular stocking was constructed to be worn for a special occasion, in this case a wedding. I selected this object as it was designed and created for a woman to wear on her wedding day, which is what I would confirm as extremely feminine.'

Taking my object as inspiration, I discussed with my tutor and peers and came to a decision that my colour palette is going to be plain and simple, white. This is due to the Bridal influence from my feminine object, as it is traditional in many countries and cultures for the bride to wear all white.

Collage of my colour palette:



A pinterest board of my colour palette:
https://www.pinterest.com/egmortimer/gender-games-colour-palette/

However, if I was to go towards the textile route for this project I would struggle to create prints using just one colour. I think if I was to focus on textile prints, I would potentially use blue and silver along side the white, also influences from weddings - the blue from 'something blue' phrase and the silver is influence by the six pence which women often wear in their shoes for luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment