Tuesday 1 December 2015

Personal Philosophy



Someone's personal philosophy is their personal belief, theory or attitude which acts as a guiding foundation for their behaviour. These are the principles that evolves your personality and determines or explains how you as a person want to live your life. It could be anything from a response to religion, politics, your environment etc. A philosophy is forever changing and being developed further.

This year our developmental research module is to understand, form and develop our own personal philosophy. We've had various lectures (which I have blogged about previously and most likely in the future) about subjects that may be relevant to our philosophy. 

Things I could discuss in my essay/ what interest me:
  • What inspires me?
  • How my personality and interests are reflected in my work - does it affect the outcome? How?
  • What is a theme that continuously runs through my work?
  • Why do I prefer fashion and construction over textiles and printing?
  • Where do I plan to be in the industry in terms of future work? - industrial, design, high fashion, branding, independently?
  • Consumerism in the 21st century
  • Fashion consumerism over the past 5 centuries - how has it changed? What has changed?
  • 'Fast Fashion' and how it has changed the industry - more than 2 season/fashion weeks in a year
  • What is our desire to buy fashion? - could refer to Maslow's want/need theory and Earnest Elmo Balkin's consumptionism theories
  • How is the fashion industry affecting the world culturally, socially and environmentally - unsustainable
  • Does the fashion industry work?
  • Greenwashing in the fashion industry
  • The equality and treatment of workers in the fashion industry in less fortunate places - i.e. factory workers in areas such as Bangladesh
  • What could I do to help?
  • Will people/the fashion industry support my philosophy and ideas?
The above are all subjects that excite me in response to our task and pdp module as well as strong interests of mine. I now aim to investigate various designers that can support the development of my philosophy as well as ways I can expand the bullet points above in my essay.


No comments:

Post a Comment