Monday 18 April 2016

SWOT analysis

SWOT is an acronym for the four words; strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. By completing a SWOT it allows me to critically analyse and reflect myself and my work. I will be establishing my strengths, weaknesses, my opportunities and threats and begin to evaluate each individual one, allowing myself to develop further and improve not only myself but my work.

Strengths:

  • A strong history of using technological processes from previous education and self taught lessons making me confident in using programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
  • Experienced in fashion construction from pattern cutting to the construction of the garment itself.
  • As I am quite the perfectionist I tend to try to put my all into my work in order to gain the best outcome I could possibly receive. 
  • I enjoy writing and although I can struggle to get into it at times, once I'm 'in the zone' and am passionate about what I am writing I feel confident.
  • I become enthusiastic about my work if I feel confident enough with a background of ideas to back myself up.

Weaknesses:
  • I often have almost OCD-like tendencies when it comes to my own work. I like everything to be perfect and tend to over work and stress myself out if it's not up to my satisfaction.
  • I can be quite stubborn and referring back to the perfectionist side of myself, like to do everything myself and often refuse to ask for help or advice as I'm too proud.
  • I have a lack of confidence in interview and presentation situations due to my self esteem. I've never been a good public speaker however I feel I am improving as my course continues.
  • Time management can be an issue for me, juggling a full time degree with a part-time job can often be a struggle especially with the given work load we are expected to complete.
  • My attendance I doubt is nowhere near the 100% mark. This is often due to slight anxiety and stress which can also often merges into illness. I understand this isn't a weakness in my work itself but I feel that it needs to be addressed and resolved in order for me to achieve the highest standard of work possible for me.
  • I often struggle to stay motivated and become distracted easily.

Opportunities:
  • I have the rest of my degree course to resolve my weaknesses and improve my strengths such as further experience in textile processes - something I am not overly confident in -, practicing and improving public speaking and time to create a timetable of sorts to stay on top of my studies and social life.
  • I have the summer ahead to start thinking about and eventually planning my dissertation.
  • Summer and term breaks to organise work placements to gain knowledge about the industry.
  • My presentation to Tanya from Next to showcase my ideas and collection to the brief given to me which would be a great contact to have in the industry as well as experience.
  • Workshops to allow myself to develop new and better old skills at university or off campus.

Threats:
  • My greatest threats are graduates studying the same or similar degrees as myself who are aiming for the same job roll as me, all across the country or even world.
  • I am also a threat to myself, if I don't work on trying to improve my weaknesses and achieve my personal goals this could have a huge negative impact on my long term goals and potentially career.


No comments:

Post a Comment