Thursday 4 February 2016

Development of Fashion Construction - Critical Appraisal 2016 SEM1

The development of fashion construction module allowed me to consider and expand my fashion construction skills and helped me improve my understanding of various design processes.  Using practical workshops, independent research and design development I was able to design and create a minimalistic, contemporary fashion garment.

I undertook a series of technical construction workshops which included advanced pattern cutting, machine processes and manufacturing various garments in different styles. This helped me realise and refine my garment construction skills and and broadened my knowledge on how a garments are designed and manufactured. Using photographic and written documentation, I recorded all the workshops I underwent in my technical file which I can refer back to throughout my future design development and processes.

Using independent research into collections, designers and processes relevant to my work and workshops, I was able to support the development of my designs and practical skills. I found www.vogue.com extremely useful for researching upcoming trends, designers and collections. I also created various pinterest boards to help collect a basis of designs and structurally interesting garments which contributed greatly to my designs. I researched thoroughly and selected Viktor and Rolf’s AW08/9 collection for my case study due to their bold statement and stand to traditional fashion. I broke down their collection using technical description and drawing to understand the overall construction and techniques of the designs and their functionality. This was challenging at first for me as it pushed my technical knowledge as well as my practical skills to consider the design process.

I successfully created a series of designs, following into a fashion collection using structurally bold shapes using the idea of my own initials as inspiration. I was able to create these with my newly developed and previous knowledge of construction skills and relevant research. I used typography placed in seams as a starting point then furthered my designs using typography into silhouettes to create a wide range of innovative and designs to push my boundaries and skills. After creating a collection of 4 final designs, I widened my learning of illustrator by drawing their flats and evidencing the technical processes and details of each garment.


I believe my outcome of the module was successful considering the time, processes and overall aesthetic. I wanted to create a minimalistic, modern yet avant-garde style with sharp, crisp seams and hems. The garment construction as a whole was a big learning process for myself as it was a new practical design decision in which I challenged myself with various technical processes such as facing, structured seams and hems which I successfully completed throughout the time given. I definitely feel like I have developed and improved my practical and technical skills in reflection to my abilities in my first year. I demonstrated the appropriate health and safety precautions and measures throughout this module to create a safe working practice in the workshops, completing risk assessments. I am confident in successfully completing this module’s learning outcomes and achieving the highest standard achievable for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment