Tuesday 2 February 2016

My take on gender and my research

I began my research by using various mediums to collect, explore and express visual information of masculine and feminine objects. My exploration of gender and what take I was going to take on started from my sketchbook pages. I made myself aware of my approach to thicker, bold and darker lines and styles for the masculine objects. Whilst using thinner, detailed and lighter colours and techniques for illustrating feminine characteristics of the feminine objects, such as headbands and beaded dresses. I was inspired in a pair of bridal stockings which I contributed myself to the collection of feminine objects. This was one of my starting points and inspiration for Gender Games. I was especially interested in it’s detailed lace, floral and elegant style which is categorically a feminine object due to its aesthetic and purpose.

Upon collecting visual information of the gender categorised objects, I also came across a playstation controller which didn’t appeal a great deal to me with its bulky nature and oddly shaped buttons and controls at the time, but once developing my research further by enlarging and placing upon dress making stands it created a bulky, armoured and almost American football aesthetic. Remembering that our module involved a diverse outlook on our work, designs and final outcome, I realised how opposite is a elegant, detailed bridal garment compared to a bulky, angular American football uniform? I researched into American football uniform, armour, designers and collections influenced by them. Tommy Hilfiger, Lacoste and Tom Ford were just a small collection of designers who had obviously been influenced with the modernised sports crazed trend.

Alongside this research I also looked into traditional, cultural and historical bridal wear: the materials, colour, style, processes and techniques which gave me the inspiration for my colour palette: white out. In English culture it is extremely traditional for the bride to wear white on their wedding day, I looked into the lace and silky materials and how I could combine them with a masculine structure. Which made me consider what my take on gender will be and how I could continue to develop these ideas.

My muse being Rihanna – a singer songwriter who plays by her own rules in terms of fashion with her ever changing and jaw dropping street style. Wearing iconic sporty garments such as football jerseys, tracksuits and sneakers. Fitting into my American football influenced research and designs I deemed her perfect for my project. I felt strongly that I would be capable of designing a aggressive, bulky and courageous outfit created from diverse materials in such a pure, innocent and surrendering colour.


I decided to eliminate gender stereotypes throughout my work to create a gender neutral collection which could be styled however and be worn by whoever wanted to. I kept thinking to myself: if someone enjoys something, why not let yourself be happy in it? By working with such masculine silhouettes and styles combined with elegant, dainty and pure fabrics I aimed to blur the traditional gender characteristics entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment