Saturday 20 February 2016

Essay Synopsis: Fashion consumerism and the effects it has on the world culturally, socially and environmentally

Why do I do, what I do? The answer is simple, because I enjoy it. I am a big believer in doing what you love. In this life your job is an enormous part of your day and takes up a large portion of your time. I don’t strive for wealth or fame. I do however think I am responsible for creating my own happiness, which is exactly why I am studying fashion and textiles.

Ever since I can remember I have had an artistic flair and creative mind-set. I found myself taking a keen interest in what other people wore, and this is turn inspired what I wanted to wear; this is why I went on to focus my creativity on fashion design and textile processes. I have a wide range of influences in my work including Moschino, Alexander Wang, Yeezy and Rag and Bone. I also take inspiration from the likes of Stella McCartney and Vivienne Westwood, both of whom try to produce clothing that are more environmentally and ethically friendly.

Consumerism, greenwashing and sustainability are big topics in current debates amongst the fashion industry, all which interest me a great deal. I feel very strongly about not only the negative effects the fashion industry causes on the environment, but how consumerism has increasingly developed and created ‘Fast Fashion’. With our ever wanting society, we purchase over 80 billion pieces of new clothing each year, which is 400% greater than we purchased two decades ago. Not to mention the cost of making all these garments, not only the financial cost, but the costs on people’s lives. With Bangladesh becoming ever more popular for cheaper garment production, the safety and wellbeing of the workers are increasingly overlooked and people are overworked, underpaid and treated poorly.

In my essay I plan to look into consumerism in the 21st century; why we feel like we need everything we buy? Fashion consumerism over the past five centuries and fast fashion. I will also look into why we buy clothing and look into our desire for fashion as well as whether or not the fashion industry works. I will begin my research by looking into the psychology of our desire, what we want versus what we need. I plan to use Maslow’s hierarchy of needs as an example. I will consider researching or contacting environmentally friendly companies, artists and brands for insight on their work, why they produce their clothing, how they produce their clothing and things that I can learn from and incorporate into my work.

Earnest Elmo Calkins is a practitioner which I feel is extremely important to discuss in my essay. Earnest’s ideas on the early stages of consumerism in the 1920’s and advertising will help me explore the consumers and how things have changed the marketing industry in past century. I am looking forward to starting my research and studies to build a relevant background into an area which I feel so strongly about and am excited to share my personal philosophies and new found knowledge.



No comments:

Post a Comment